28 July 2009

Week Zero: Days 1-3

Day 1: We were shipped to basic on Thursday. We traveled from the reception battallion to basic "across the tracks" in modified tractor trailers/buses. We were greeted at the loading area by Drill Sergeant Oskoui (Oss-koo-ee). DS Oskoui's favorite word is, apparently, turd. I am making this assumption based on the fact that this is how he refers to us, both individually and collectively. All in all, it wasn't that bad. I did get a little grief because I had already been to sick call due to gastro issues, but it still wasn't that bad.

Day 2: Today was dominated by two things: equipment issue and a moron. We were issued about 70 pounds of equipment (kevlar, helmet, rucksack, etc). Then, we piled into actual cattle cars, in full ACUs and equipment, to ride back to our battery. By the way, I am officially a member of A battery 1/40th Field Artillery 1st Platoon. On to the moron. We were in barracks in classroom formation which consists of us seated on the floor around the DS. As we're filling out paper work, some guy rips one. The DS says "No busting ass in here. You gotta bust ass, go to the latrine." Here comes the moron. Not even 1 minute later, some other guy rips one. Un-be-liev-able. To his credit, he did own up to it. We were pushing very quickly. Yay. Our first smoke session because some moron couldn't contain a fart. Awesome.

Day 3: Today was a big day. We were issued our weapons: the M16A2 rifle. I have to say it feels weird carrying a semi-automatic weapon. I now know how to field strip an M-16. How many of you ever thought you would hear me say such a thing? I didn't. Honestly, it's kind of cool in it's own way.

I have to mention a few words about my "battle buddy". In the Army, you never go anywhere without a battle buddy, which is your bunk mate. The first words my bunk mate ever said to me were "I'm glad I got over my anger issues before I got here". Great. Fifty guys in this place and I get the one with anger issues. Honestly, he's a pretty nice guy. We are both married and missing our wives a lot, so we have that in common. Some of these kids are idiots, though. Seriously.

I guess that brings everything up to date. It's still brutally hot here. Though it did rain a few days ago. Well, I'm off now to write a one page essay on why I joined the military. Go me.

1 comment:

Tushar said...

Suggest to DS Oskoui that he impose the "safety" rule . . . just be sure to scope out all doorknob locations. Take care Mitch.