30 July 2009

Red Phase: Week 1 - Day 4

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus!!! What a day today was. First on the agenda was a simulated chemical attack. During a patrol, we come under chemical attack and have to don our mask, etc and decontaminate. During this organized chaos, I lost my glasses. Luckily, they were my civilian glasses so once I get my Army glasses, I'll be ok. After this, we had the gas house. Now typically, I imagine things to be terrible and they never turn out to be as bad as I thought. This was not the case when it came to the gas house. I thought it would take time to infiltrate your body. I was wrong. As soon as I unmasked, my eyes & nose were burning and I began to manufacture copious amounts of tears, snot, and spit. CS gas is the debil. He had to unmask and say our name, rank, and social, then reseal the mask. After that, we stood on the ready line, unmasked, and were guided out. We also had to tell what platoon we are in on the way out. Total time is about 10-15 seconds. It feels like an eternity. We finally emerged blind, drooling and snotting everywhere. Easily the most torturous experience ever and ensures that I will never protest anything. Ever. On the bright side, it did temporarily clear my sinuses.

We also had our first encounter with MREs today. We had them for breakfast and lunch today. That was pretty much it. Except for the brutal smoking session we got since guys still do stupid shit (leave clothes in the latrine or turds in the toilet). Hopefully, we'll do better tomorrow.

No comments: